Highlighting the Spring Back to Vail festivities, the World Pond Skimming Championships is open to anyone and everyone that believes they can make it across the pond. It is guaranteed to be a wet and wild good time! Participants must be 16 years of age and older. The top male and female finishers will receive a 2019/20 Epic Pass!
Skimmers from all parts of the globe are gathering floaties and flippers and making the annual migration to the Vail Valley. Many will compete for fame and glory, while others have their eye on the grand prize, “The Golden Skimmer.” They are the unsinkable athletes that will showcase their water solubility on Lake Golden Peak Sunday, April 14, from 3-5PM. in a showing that defies the laws of physics and perhaps even common sense.
WORLD POND SKIMMING CHAMPIONSHIPS
SUNDAY, April 14
- 12PM - Venue Opens including a BBQ and Spring Back Festival Village
- 1PM - Spring Back to Vail Bags Tournament Begins
- 3PM - World Pond Skimming Championships Begin
The festivities extend beyond the World Pond Skimming Championships! Check out vail.com/springback for the full schedule of Spring Back to Vail Events.
1st Place Female-2019/2020 Epic Pass
1st Place Male-2019/2029 Epic Pass
Best Show Stopper presented by Oakley-Oakely prize pack with googles, sunglasses and helmet
Best Splash presented by Helly Hansen-$250 Helly Hansen Gift Card
Best Performance by a Skier presented by Bud Light-Bud Light branded skis
Best Performance by a Snowboarder presented by Bud Light-Bud Light branded snowboard
Pepsi Performance Award presented by Pepsi-$250 Rock Resort Gift Card
World Pond Skimming Championships Rules
- All competitors are required to wear a CE certified ski/snowboard helmet.
- Competitors who are legally intoxicated will not be allowed to take their run and will be disqualified.
- Competitors may only use a single pair of snow skis or a single snowboard as a means to cross the pond. No additional equipment or aid may be used (i.e. no water skis). Zero points will be given in the distance category for using any skis wider than 11.5cm at mid-ski (waist).
- No poles of any kind may be used.
- Absolutely no inverted aerials into the pond. You will be immediately disqualified.
- Absolutely no diving. You will be immediately disqualified.
- No starting above the start line.
- Only one participant may attempt crossing the pond at a time.
- Competitors may only attempt a crossing when the pond is clear of all people, equipment, debris, etc. The starter will signal when the pond and course are clear and a participant may attempt a crossing. The starter has the absolute final say.
- Do not try to ski/ride out the side of the pool.
- Please exit only at the end of the pool.
- If a competitor crashes before reaching the pond, they will be disqualified immediately (there will be no reruns).
- If you are under 18, you must have a legal guardian present to sign the liability waiver
Registration is open March 18-April 13 at 5PM. Be sure to reserve your spot!
ON SITE CHECK IN
All participants must check in at Gold Peak and sign a liablity release form [participants under 18 MUST have a parent or legal guardian on site to sign the form] will be from 1-2:30PM Sunday, April 14.